About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Wednesday 21 December 2011

Time Traveler's Wife Versus Her Fearful Symmetry

Good day!

I'm doing another versus and I hope you don't mind!

Here are the two fighters:

                     VERSUS                  

The Time Traveler's Wife 
Paperback: £ 7.99
Publisher: Vintage

I don't really go for books that are some what romantic, I'm a bit of cynic when it comes to most things. I know this book isn't categorised as a 'Romance' but there is a strong element of lurrrrrve. From start to finish I enjoyed it and fell in love with it (as well as Henry). 

The novel came recommended by my Mum and I was a bit skeptical to begin with. However, I picked it up, read it and couldn't put it down, I didn't want it to end! I passed it round all my friends and when I went on a holiday to Greece with my Uni friends after we graduated I think 4 out of the 6 read it that week. Even one of my friend's who has NO imagination read it and absolutely loved it. At the moment it's in the boot of my car as it has only just been returned to me by yet another person. It has old receipts, ticket stubs etc etc in it that people have used as book marks so not only is it a well loved book but it's providing a timeline to my friend's lives....it's pretty funny. If you haven't read it, read it now and I mean now.

p.s. make sure you have tissues handy.


Her Fearful Symmetry
Paperback: £ 7.99
Publisher: Vintage

Sorry Ms N, sorry for what I'm about to say.....
I can't help but think that this book was only so popular upon it's release because of the above. I can't help but think that Ms N was cashing in on her reputation when she wrote this one. It is an easy read and it does have a story that makes you feel like you want to know what happens next. However, it doesn't have the depth and emotion of Traveler's Wife. Also, I found it really really far fetched compared to Time Traveler's Wife (yes I know that the above isn't exactly very 'realistic' but this one just went too far for me).

The book is worth a read if you want something for a holiday say. But, don't expect anything as good as Time Traveler's Wife, especially the ending. It does leave many questions but none poignant enough to make this a book that could sit on the same lofty pedestal as Time Traveler's.


Happy Reading!

Book Geek
x

No comments:

Post a Comment