About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Friday 2 March 2012

Review: A Most Wanted Man


Paperback: £ 7.99
Publisher: Hodder


As usual for LeCarre, this book is splendidly written, thought through and eloquently done. I did indeed enjoy it. The twists and turns were brilliant and it was a great look at terrorism post 9/11. It brought up many internal debates on terrorism, martyrdom, religious fanaticism etc that I wasn't wholly aware were in me. That was somewhat of a learning curve.

I don't understand why people find LeCarre's books hard to read and follow. I thoroughly enjoyed The Constant Gardner! The only moment I lost the plot in this book was when I did the typical, mind wandering but carry on reading thing. Next thing you know you've read 5 pages and have NO idea what happened. I mistakenly didn't flick back so there are one or two things that puzzle me somewhat, but I'll get over it and it hasn't tainted my reading of the book at all.

I won't say too much about the plot as I don't want to give anything away! I enjoyed the look in to the German secret service, I enjoyed seeing how agencies such as MI5 and the CIA can work together. I'm of course not sure how 100% accurate it is, but it's interesting none the less.

When it came to the characters I just couldn't get on board with Annabel. I'm sure you are meant to see her as a bit of a conquering heroine but she just got on my tits! She was irritating, easily led and in no way the strong female she needed to be when the time came. She drove me round the bend and I just wanted her to go away. What can I say about Issa?? I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with him. On occasions I felt deep pity for him, I wanted to look after him. On other occasions I found him arrogant, obnoxious and wanted to thump him.

I have one thing to say about the blurb on the back. I found it totally misleading! Brue is not the main character by any means and it misleads you to think that this is more love story than anything else. Do not let it put you off! It's about terrorism, it's about suffering, it's about hard decisions, it's about violence, it's about security. There is the teeny, tiniest flutter of romance but that is it! THANK GOD!

Anyway, enjoy this book, don't read it when you can't concentrate though!


Happy reading

Book Geek

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment