About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Review: The First Book of Calamity Leek

Publisher: Hutchinson
Price: £12.99 (hardback)

Wow! Really, wow! I just don't quite know what to make of this book. It is through the eyes of the teenage Calamity Leek who lives a very strange life in a VERY strange place with VERY strange rules. The whole book reads as if it is written by a poorly educated child, however, when you get used to it, it is rather endearing and real and easy to read. 

The book is so bloody odd and for a long time I had no idea what the hell was going on. However, I got sucked in and it kept me reading. I was excited to read more and I was totally intrigued. I enjoyed reading it hugely just to find out what the hell was going on! I had no idea in hell what was happening or why for a long time so I was thrilled to read more!

The book gets darker and more twisted as it goes on. It still isn't totally clear why certain things happen however, you get enough of the picture. At points, you forget that the darkness exists and you feel you are just reading a book about the bizarre life and the aftermath of events this poor group of girls, who seem to be in one VERY twisted sort of finishing school, are facing. 

I think this will be a marmite book for many. I also, don't really know what else to say about it as I don't want to give anything away and I don't really know exactly how to describe it. But, I will close with this, I very weirdly enjoyed this book and found it most intriguing. I would recommend giving it a read as it is truly unique and I don't think there is anything quite like it out there!

Happy Reading...well if you can read this happily

Book Geek
:-/

No comments:

Post a Comment