About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Friday 15 March 2013

Review: The Final Testament

Price: £ 8.99
Publisher: John Murray


I'm not religious, I don't have faith. I do however have great admiration and at times feel jealousy towards people who do. Faith appears to give people a solid grounding, something to believe in, turn to for solace, advice and in times of thankfulness and happiness. This book picks up faith as we know it, questions it, turns it on its head and forces you to think about what it means for you.

The book is written in a gospel style, each chapter has a persons name and it's their account of what they experienced with Ben, the supposed Messiah. It's basically the story of Ben from when he reenters society from wherever he has been, and begins changing the lives of many, many people. Frey very successfully adopts a different voice for each character, the persona and tones are hugely thought through.

I can see how this book could cause a lot of contention and make a lot of people rather disgruntled and rather pissed off. It looks at traditional religion and turns it on its head. It questions the place that traditional religion has in today's modern world. It looks at how faith and religious prophesies, beliefs and books need to be updated and adapted as the world's in which they were founded and created no longer exist. It basically tells you that along with the rest of society, religion needs to evolve. This is something I believe also, and it's a very apt topic to think about as the new Pope comes in to office (I don't know if that is the right word), and many catholic beliefs and other religious beliefs are put under scrutiny.

I don' believe this book will be foe everyone but it was certainly one for me and I will indeed be mulling many things over because of it!

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-p

No comments:

Post a Comment