About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 15 April 2013

Review: Dear Thing

Publisher: Bantam Press
Price: Not written on my copy sorry


The cover of my uncorrected bound proof looks nothing like this cover...I didn't see this cover until I fished a pic to plonk up there....anyway...I'm one of those people that does indeed judge a book by its cover. I always have been and always will be, however, this blogging malarky has lead me to read many books that I usually would pass by because of the cover. I am delighted I have read this book. It isn't one I would normally read...based on the cover and to be honest on the blurb on the back. However, there is far more to this book than meets the eye, huzzah!

The whole story revolves around Claire and Ben's inability to have a child and their surrogate. I expected it to be a pretty damn soppy book that would actually make me rather upset! I only filled up once and it isn't as soppy as you expect. It does, in fact, come across as a realistic, if not somewhat dramatic, description of the emotional and physical turmoil felt when experiencing a surrogacy. I've never done that...obvs...but this is how I would imagine it could go!

The web of deceit, the hidden feelings, the general complexities of normal day life are made so interesting that you can't help but get sucked in to this book and hooked from the offing. DO NOT LET THE COVER OR BLURB PUT YOU OFF.

Posie is a total babe, I want a little girl just like her...I actually want to be her friend as she is just so wonderful!!! Romily is also cracking....There are moments when you hate her, moments when you love her, moments when you feel sorry for her...alll the emotions are experienced towards Romily. The letters to Thing are particularly emotive and do make you feel intense emotions for her! Claire, I hated...I'm sorry but I couldn't stand her....she is so involved in Claire and Claire alone and she's just too perfect! I boo her highly!

Not my choice of book to look at or read about, but defo a book I am delighted to have read and one I have thoroughly enjoyed from cover to cover.

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-p


No comments:

Post a Comment