About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 1 April 2013

Review: Shadow's Son

Publisher: Gollancz
Price: £ 12.99

Fantasy and magic and murder here we come! BOOM! Mummy Geek isn't a fan of fantasy but when she read the back of this book she declared that she would like to read it! A BREAK THROUGH!

Now, on with the review. I thoroughly enjoyed the political dealings and the intrigue that was created due to it the politics. It was amazing and enthralling and leads the book down a very different path from the one you expect. The political plot is hugely intelligent and not at all what I was expecting. The action rocks, totally rocks and it makes Caim a serious dude! 

The evil/bad guys are a tad cliche but they are a great contrast and are indeed perfect villains. Josey was a bit hit or miss depending on what she was doing and what she was up to. However, I believe that as this book is a trilogy or a series or something, so I would be delighted to see how she develops, 

As JS, the author, is American I couldn't help but feel like Othir is an old school New York.....a very old school New York. As a location it was brilliant and really worked. 

A weird thought...when sweat breaks out under Caim's arms, I began to think about deodorant and if people actually had anything such as that in the olden days. I appear to have odd thoughts indeed! 

Anyway, cracking read, not overly fantasy if that's not your thing but it has enough to keep you on track if it is! Great action and intelligent plot!

Happy Reading

Book Geek
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment