About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Thursday 22 August 2013

Review: The House Of Journalists

Price: £ 16.73 hardback
Publisher: Jonathan Cape

We're looking at the HoJ at one moment in time, we're looking at the present, pasts and futures of one set of residents who currently inhabit this house of gifted writers and their ghosts.

I enjoy the flipping and flopping of POV, it gives the book interest and a personal quality. However, I don't really think I 'got it' on the level at which it is intended to be received, but that doesn't mean I didn't find it enjoyable. I just feel, maybe, that there was some kind of society/literary comment I missed.

I enjoyed the look at corruption that comes from power, not only in governments but in small organisations and committees. How people have their own agendas and sod the rest of you! Freedom of voice and of the press is a precious thing and the events described by the inhabitants of the HoJ show that it is some thing to be fought for. I do wonder if the inhabitants' experiences were in fact based on true stories as you certainly hear ones like them from time to time. 

This is a very moving and warm yet scary and unsettling (in places) story told by the fellows. It's dark in places but that makes it even more enjoyable. Also, the enigma that is AA adds a certain something that I can't quite put my finger on.

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment