About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Review: The Executioner's Heart

Publisher: Titan Books
Price: £ 7.99

We are in Victorian London, we've got a crazy murderer on the loose and there is some steampunk thrown in!

I've not read any SP before but I think I like it. Subtle twists on an eccentric Victorian detective style novel. It was always a surprise when the machines cropped up but they didn't seem out of place and I enjoyed that thoroughly. There was also a hint of the Sherlock Holmes about this book. A slightly mental and drug addled lead with his more sensible and grounded sidekick.

The story was fun but gruesome, action packed yet light. A totally new type of book for me but one that I did indeed enjoy. N&H had a good dynamic and a past was successfully built for them. I don't know if they have featured in other books in the past, but I did in no way feel as if their relationship or back story was lacking. They had a bond, a connection and a history that was wholly convincing and cemented. 

I think I will defo look out for more SP novels in the hope that they are like this one. I think the subtlety of the SP elements helped my introduction to the genre and I do indeed get on with a cracking detective novel. I do think I'm going to have to try to stay away from murder for a while as it is impacting my dreams in a big way.

Detective novel with a twist that is fun indeed.

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment