About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Sunday 12 January 2014

Review: Battle Royale

Publisher: Gollancz
Price: £ 9.99

Well, to say I enjoyed this book would be a MASSIVE understatement. It was bloody cracking. I have been interested to read this book for about a year, since I read the Hunger Games books and read the controversy about how a lot was taken from this. As far as I am concerned, I'd be shocked if SC hadn't read this as the parallels are many. And, I'm about to say something people may find blasphemous, but I think I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed the Hunger Games. It felt more real and more believable. 

The translation was pretty descent. A few spots read awkwardly and didn't quite flow, but that is understandable. 

I found it really really brutal in many places but the characters were outstanding. The contrasts in upbringing, history and memories were great as well as their reactions to the situation they were in. If people chose to play or not, if people chose to kill or not, it was awesome. The 3 'main' characters were absolutely excellent and I felt close to them indeed.

The names confused me a bit as they were quite similar so I did struggle on occasions to remember who was who when it came to the more peripheral characters but I shall live. 

A gripping read that is not for the feint of heart. Read this if you enjoyed the Hunger Games, and if you haven't read the Hunger Games then read them as well as this as I'd be interested to hear other thoughts on the similarities.

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment