About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 27 January 2014

Review: Season to Taste, or, How to Eat Your Husband

Publisher: Tinder Press
Price: £ 12.99 (hardback)

Well, before Christmas I was sent promotional recipe cards for some of the meals that Lizzie cooks and from those didn't really have any idea what was going on. When I got the book shortly after Christmas, along with a glorious spoon, I was most enthused to read it!

This is the story of Lizzie, who has killed her husband and has decided to eat him to dispose of the body.

I don't know how I feel about Lizzie. I feel sorry for her as her life was apparently so shitty before that she thought killing Jacob would be a help. However, I'm also slightly terrified of her as no sane person could seriously kill and eat someone else and not really have an overwhelming feeling of remorse and disgust. Tom, is very different and I found his bits rather odd. They jump forward in time and the tone is different. They kept me reading but, they also made me feel really unnerved and worried for him.

The hand written list sections are a definitive way in which to kill and eat your husband whilst still keeping your cool. They are cold and clinical, and very darkly humorous. They are also a complete contrast to the narrative sections. The list sections in fact, almost make the events of the novel seem totally and utterly normal, which is even more mental.

I found the story particularly creepy as I live in the Farnham/Guildford area so know the places that are mentioned. I don't think I'm ever going to feel the same about some of the 50 something ladies who lunch that I see in town anymore! Also, I was having real trouble eating meat over the weekend whilst reading this book. Quite an impact was made.

Overall, a really dark and to be perfectly honest mental book. I think I enjoyed it as I have told people about it all weekend. However, I don't know if that is because of the shock factor or because I've never read anything like it before and don't quite know how to digest it (no pun intended). If you want a really different read then pick this up now.

Happy Reading (I think)

Book Geek
:-s

No comments:

Post a Comment