About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 31 March 2014

Review: Barracuda

Price: £ 12.99
Publisher: Atlantic Books

Danny wants to be the best, the fastest and an Olympian. Swimming means everything to him. However, he can't take the pressure it seems.

I'm going to say it straight off the mark, I was a bit pissed off with Danny and his constant hate for life and his complaining and rage. I found him a totally annoying dick. However, the other characters were pretty darn awesome, his parents, Demet and siblings in particular. Danny was just horrid and at times repulsive and grotesque. I don't know if we were meant to feel sorry for him, but I can safely say I didn't, I felt nothing but disdain and at times I really wanted to hurt him.

I preferred the narrative parts that were post incident rather than pre. There is only so much about swimming I can enjoy. The post incident bits were far more interesting and tortured and I found myself swept away by them. Also, as soon as the incident was revealed, some of the momentum was lost for me as I kinda felt that the whole book until that point was building up to it. After it kind of fizzled out a touch.

It was an interesting read but I don't think I found it as absorbing and compelling as The Slap, CT's other novel that I've read which I totally adored and even enjoyed the TV adaptation of. But, if you are a CT fan give it a go none the less!

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-s



No comments:

Post a Comment