About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 9 June 2014

Review: Meatspace


Publisher: The Friday Project

I had seen this book floating in the Twitter ether for a while and was rather intrigued, so when it landed in my letter box (well, actually my green recycling bin. The postie puts all things that don't fit through the flap in the recycling and leaves me a note. It's most helpful) I was most overjoyed.

Kitab has hit a low point, no job to make him money, no girlfriend, no real life outside of tut digital world. This is his coming of age story.

I don't know if I was meant to find this story unbearably sad, but I did and for so many reasons. The revelations, the tragedy, the sadness of Kitab 2's life, the fact that life on the web is more important to Kitab than off it, loss and grief. 

I don't want to write too much about why I was so sad at the end and why I felt so sad throughout (as I suspected a certain plot twist was going to occur) as I don't want to spoil this for anyone.

Kitab is a very sweet and lovely character. Hayley is darn awesome and Rach is a bellend. Kitab's Dad is also rather cool and Aziz is just mental.

I think this is a very modern and of the time book and is a fair and careful warning for people about conduct on the net. It is also wonderfully tragic and I love that NS adopts the voices of Kitab and Aziz to create the tale, which makes it even more heart wrenchingly sad.

I hope NS and TFP don't mind that I found it so, so sad, as I'm sure it's meant to be some what of a dark comedy, but it really did just break my heart. I did indeed enjoy it nonetheless as I do like a book that isn't all hearts and flowers and smiles.

Happy Reading

BG
:-)



No comments:

Post a Comment