About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 7 March 2016

Review: Bete

Publisher: Gollancz


In this book one man, a farmer and butcher is trying to cope with a dramatically changing world, forcing him to alter his belief system, his life and perceptions of what's right and wrong.

I had to start with a brief summary this time, as unless you remember the above whilst reading this review, I don't think you will grasp how interesting this book is and how challenging it is in many ways for a sci-fi(ish) read. It looks at how any belief system, anything that you trust as concrete and unmoving can go completely tits. The book is basically, well to me any way, a social comment but with fun, feeling and realism thrown in! But at the same time, damn this whole concept is bloody terrifying when you think about it!!!

I loved the vocab and POV of the whole novel. Graham's literariness was most enjoyable and unexpected. I was also particularly pleased about how the Da Vinci Code was used, as let's face it, that's all it's bloody well good for. (I hate that book).

The only bit which I wasn't totally enamoured with in the book was the sort of 'all for love' bit that cropped up. It was totally cheesy, but now that I think about it more, on the spot, I actually kind of like it...hmmmmm. I don't want to say more as I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, but, I had to say I've changed my mind.

In all, this book was not what I expected, it was a really good read. The style was great, the humour was fab and on the whole this book is worth the time and money!

Happy Reading

BG
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment