About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Review: Death in the Family

Publisher: Cutting Edge Press
 
I will be honest, when I started reading this book it was driving me round the bend. I found it really slow, it annoyed me that nothing much happened and all the characters were really self indulgent with their feelings and ways.
 
But, the more I read, the more I enjoyed this book and became deeply attached to Kalil, Maryam and Dee. In each of their own ways they are dealing with the death of their father, their lives and each other. And their other relatives are doing exactly the same thing. I really liked how the individual stories are told and woven together amongst the story of Ally and his death and life.
 
It was really interesting to have the stick in the mud, people will never change, tradition versus the changing world and modern times. The construction of the novel to include this was great too. I also enjoyed learning about Guyana of which I knew nothing about before.
 
IT's a short review, but I think I've said all I can. Get to know this family and their personal struggles, feelings and thoughts. Read about how the world can change but people won't. Read about how families can keep secrets and feelings.
 
Oh, there is one thing I'd say - the ending is all very neat and a bit unlike other CEP books....not sure how I feel about that...hmmm
 
 
Anyway, worth a read
 
BG!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment