About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 4 July 2017

Review: Snow Blind

Publisher: Orenda
 
We are in a small town, with a big town guy, he doesn't know really how to deal with the small town mentality, but a shed load is going on there.
 
This book is a translation, as I'm sure you can imagine, and the one question I have is, is the original language as quaint as the translation? But, despite that the translation was good and also, I don't know why, but I had it in my head that this would be a very dense and hard to read novel but it really wasn't. It is your definition of a crime novel, it is compelling, surprising and a real page turner.
 
I am, as you may have noticed if you are an avid reader, pretty good at seeing what's coming. Either I'm losing my knack, or this book is that good. I really didn't see coming, what actually arrived. The book totally kept me guessing and I loved that.
 
There is the love element to this novel as well as the crime which provides some light relief, but the real darkness that comes across in some pages make this novel stand out in the crime world and probs helps give the book it's regional voice. I particularly like the italicised chapters. Really put a spanner in some works in my mind as to who done what!
 
I think one of my notes kind of sums up this novel for me 'Twas dark in places but also a bit lovely as people are close.'
 
A good crime read, a good plot, good characters.
 
Cheers
 
BG

No comments:

Post a Comment